One of the few Free options for backing up an entire drive to an image is Clonezilla.org
While you can easily download an ISO file and burn it to a CD, sometimes you don’t have a CD slot and the only other option is to put Clonezilla on a USB Thumb drive. Here’s how to do it.
- Download the Clonezilla iso file.
- Download Tuxboot.
- Have an empty USB Thumb Drive ready – it doesn’t have to be very large. Plug it into your system – note what the drive letter is.
- Install-Run Tuxboot
- From the Tuxboot menu choose Pre Downloaded and browse to the clonezilla ISO image you downloaded.
- Make sure you choose the correct USB drive and then click OK.
- Tuxboot will then install Closezill on your USB thumb drive.
- Now – Setup your computer to boot from your USB drive. Every computer is a bit different, but it’s part of the Bios Setup.
Once you’ve done all of that you can boot from your USB drive and run Clonezilla.