I just installed installed this router as a replacement for a D-Link which died. I had a number of problems in the setup and thought I would document them so that this might help some other people.
- I installed from the min-CD which came with the router. You have to search on it to find the 1043 installation.
- It does run you through a basic installation easily and seems to work right up to the last step.
- When it tries to “Verify the Router Setup.” It can’t complete this setup.
- On a separate sheet of paper, it says that if you have an ISP like Comcast or Charter you may have to take some extra steps. This includes copying a MAC address. I followed their instructions. I have never had this problem before and wonder if it is something that is becoming common.
- I then unplugged my modem and router, plugged the modem back in and then the router and finally everything worked!
- In the setup, you don’t change the Admin password, so that is something you’ll want to do.
- I also turned off WPS and UPnP.
- When I tested my download speeds, my wireless download was as good as my Ethernet download. Impressive!
- I then went into my settings under Wireless and Enabled SpeedBoost. Theoretically, it might increase my speed my 50%. In reality my speed went up from 22 to 23 Mbps – not much change.
Note – I ended up returning the router as it wouldn’t connect properly one day. Luckily it was in the 30 day warranty period for Amazon. Too bad.