One of the things I’ve learned about passwords is that long-simpler passwords take a very long time to guess and are even better than short-complex passwords. Try out the GRC haystack generator to see how long it would take to crack different length passwords with different complexity.
Here’s a quick summation:
– 8 digit (3EvC4bS&) complex password would take 18.62 hours to crack assuming a Offline Fast Attack Scenario.
– 20 digit simpler password (dkfjuthglcnvbkiueqas) would take 65.90 million centuries to crack assuming an Offline Fast Attack Scenario.
Other Password Tips
- Never use dictionary words or combinations of words.
- Never use just numbers like 12345
- Use ALL the character types – Upper, lower, numbers and special case.
- Make it long – the longer the better.
- Use a Password Manager like Lastpass.
- Use entirely different passwords on different accounts.
- Create a passphrase which is meaningful to you which contains all character sets.