Thanks to Michael Hand of Tekzilla for this tip on how to get Google Voice to allow you to make and receive phone calls just using your internet connection.
Here are the basics. I assume you already have a Google Voice phone number.
- Install the app – Hangouts Dialer
- You have an option to merge SMS with Google Hangouts – I chose not to.
- The above allows you to make call. To receive calls do the below.
- In Google Voice – under Settings – make sure you have Forward calls to Google Chat checked.
- In the Hangouts app choose Settings (top left) – click on your account email and click on the box – “Ïncoming Phone calls”
- Note – while my VOIP phone rang it never would actually connect – seems a little buggy.
Here’s a video about the process