I just helped a friend with the above problem and came up with a solution which might help others.
I never found out what was causing the original problem. I would uninstall and re-install Chrome, yet it would not load any pages. I tried other things, but nothing worked.
I did notice however that other User accounts would load Chrome just fine.
The solution was to create a new User Account and transfer all the data files from her old bad account to the new User Account.
Maybe this will help other people with similar problems.
Another option – Changing your Chrome profile might work.I didn’t get a chance to try this.