This morning I had the scary realization that 90% of my files were missing in Google Drive. I checked two computers and the results were the same.
After a one hour call to Google, I got a partial fix and hopefully they will get this permanently fixed over the weekend. Here’s the fix although it has to be applied to EVERY folder you have in Google Drive.
- First open up a New Incognito Window
- Login to Google
- Go to Google Drive
- Look for your files – mine were all there. For some reason Incognito mode shows all my files.
- Open up one of the files in a folder.
- Close the file.
- Now go back to your standard (non-incognito) browser window and close down any Google Drive tab.
- Open up Google Drive again
- Your files will now show up for the folder.
- Repeat this for every folder in Google Drive.
Why this works I have no idea, but the tech support took some screen shots and is going to escalate this problem to a higher level.
This is another reason why you need to have the Offline Google Drive app installed on at least one computer. This way even if Google Drive deletes all your files, you still would access to them.
Note/Conclusion – Approximately 48 hours after my talk with Google I got this answer, “Thank you for contacting Google Drive! I have just heard word from our specialists who looked into this issue.It seems that the issue has already been taken care off. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and thank you for your patience while we fixed it! If ever the same situation comes up again or if the problem still persists, please reply to this email. I’m happy to help! Thanks!
Here’s the link I used to get a phone call from Google.
I clicked on the “Missing or Deleted Files” option.