I’m helping a friend who had her computer infected with 1620 malware files.
I’m trying to figure a way to keep her computer safe in the future and thought I’d repeat Steve Gibson’s advice.
- Run as a Standard User. Keep a separate account as an administrator. Give it a long password.
- You can also uninstall Java and only allow Flash to run when you want it – that’s a setting in Chrome.
- Steve also runs NoScript in Firefox.
- Sandboxie.com is another tool you can install to Sandbox your browser. It deletes everything when you close your browser. There is a Free version and the paid version cost $49.95 for three lifetime licenses.
- Malwarebytes.org – this might block most malware from installing. It costs $24.95 for three home PCs.
Have a good drive image backup. On my friends computer we had an Acronis True Image WD edition backup which saved the day.