If you’d like to use Photoshop, but don’t have the money, here’s an option which is a pretty good replacement. Pixlr is a flash based replacement which has many of the functions of PS, but is free, or does have a $1.99/month 0r $15/year option to remove the ads from one computer plus extra features. Here is a page with the payment options.
Here are some of the problems I found.
- Sometimes the website down and you won’t be able to do anything.
- One big problem I have is pasting in an image from the clip board. For some reason it doesn’t work.Here’s the response I got from them – “You are correct, this is a problem with Pixlr. Currently, you can only copy and paste data from one Pixlr image to another Pixlr image. We hope to support cut/copy/paste from external sources in a future deployment.”
- They also don”t have an option for 1920×1080 for new files. You have to type it in manually. Ideally, if you do a screen grab, the program will figure out the screen size from the screen grab.
- Pixlr is based on Flash which has many security problems. I’m hoping that they are working on a HTML 5 version so that the flash version can be retired.
- Mask does not work as in PS. You can mask areas with a brush – white, but can’t un-mask them with black.
On the Plus side:
- This has many of the same features as Photoshop and in many cases the same key strokes.
- It seems to be fairly fast – at least on my windows laptop.
- The web app works well except for the exceptions above.